By the early 1950s it gradually became clear that Bridport’s  water supply system needed upgrading as the town  continued to grow.   The pump was often broken down and many attempts  were made to repair it. Water supplies were inconsistent  and not able to deal with growing demand. A new motor  was installed in 1952 with only limited success. By the 1960’s a new pump house was installed near the  Elizabeth street entrance.  This is still being used today.