In 1869 the government let tenders for the construction of a jetty over the Bid River, near the bridge. Up until that time the description of the river and operations were; the jetty is a heap of stones and few planks, and the entrance to the river is crooked and awkward and does not admit vessels of large tonnage. A new structure is required while tin continues to be shipped out. If that fails, Bridport will go in to consumption. In 1855 a second jetty was constructed at Smythe’s corner to cope with the increased trade. The shed on the jetty was used for dances even though “one could see through the floor”. It was pulled down in 1917 as it was considered dangerous.